An overbite can occur for several reasons. Lack of jaw space to accommodate large teeth can contribute to an overbite. The consistent use of a pacifier or habitual thumb sucking places pressure on the roof of the mouth and the upper front teeth, and as a child grows this action forces those teeth out creating an overbite. Once this tooth formation occurs, the likely solution will be dental braces.
Any habit that puts pressure on the front teeth consistently can result in protruding teeth, so awareness and an effort to break the habit are critical to the success of any treatment. Your dentist can provide the optimum advice and treatment solutions.
Adolescents and adults alike are very fortunate to be able to straighten out an overbite with Invisalign clear soft plastic aligners. There are many advantages to straightening teeth with Invisalign including:
- Aligners are transparent making the process virtually undetectable.
- Being made of soft plastic means no metal or wires to cause abrasions or cuts on soft tissues in the mouth and cheek.
- Aligners are removable. There are no dietary restrictions as braces are removed to eat, so you can enjoy all the foods you love.
- Daily flossing and brushing is easy. Just remove the aligner, clean teeth, and replace.
- Dental check-ups every six months are performed completely and accurately. Plaque build-up and dental decay are kept in check by removing these dental braces during hygiene visits.
- Activities that require wearing a mouth guard to protect teeth allow the athlete to remove the Invisalign aligner and replace with a mouth piece that has been designed and fitted specifically for the individual to offer the maximum protection. When the activity is completed, replace the mouth guard with the aligner.
Invisalign aligners are designed to be worn consistently throughout the day and night except during meals and daily hygiene. In order to achieve the desired results in the prescribed amount of time, aligners are to be worn a minimum of twenty to twenty-two hours every day.
Throughout the straightening process, please visit your dentist so he can monitor progress. The patient needs to adhere to the rules given and you can solidify treatment by wearing a retainer so the teeth and jaw have a chance to memorize their new position. The result will definitely be worth the effort.
If you are considering Invisalign to correct your overbite, contact the experienced team of Drs. Bonner and Huriega to schedule a professional consultation.